Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fashionable Footwear, or Symbolic Shoes?

Whether it's a pair of worn out flip flops, mint condition high heels, or ratty old converse, everyone has that one special pair of shoes. No matter how old, they are the shoes that will never get thrown away because of their sentimental or monetary value. For me, those special shoes are my crossword converse.

Call me crazy, but out of all of the shoes in the world, I couldn't find a shoe that describes myself and my goals in life better than these old chucks.

The crossword puzzle print is more than just a fashion statement. It actually describes my personality fairly accurately. I love crossword and other word puzzles so much mainly because I love writing. Specifically news writing. I hope to take this passion for writing, as well as a few of the words I learn from these puzzles, and turn them into a career in journalism.

The content of this shoe may describe my personality, but the colors describe one of my biggest goals in life. Black and white. The colors of elegance and class, ink on paper, and a city skyline. Specifically the skyline of New York City. I was born and raised in New York and I am a city girl at heart. Becoming a journalist in the big apple is a goal of mine, and one I hope to accomplish within my short time on this earth. It may be a bit of a stretch, but these mundane colors represent the flashing lights of my future.

I know that it sounds crazy for me to pull all of this out of a pair of sneakers. When I bought them, I definitely did not intend for them to be a metaphorical gateway to my inner thoughts and dreams. But as of today, the numbered squares and black and white pattern serve as a constant reminder of who I am, and what my future holds.

Why am I rambling about shoes you may ask? My first assignment for my public speaking class was to compose a brief speech around an object that represents our personality, goals, ambitions, etc. And now, I am sharing the speech with you all. Enjoy!



Word of the day:

Disingenuous
adjNot candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does

3 comments:

  1. I hate shoe shopping, mainly because it takes me forever to find a pair of shoes that fit comfortably enough for me to wear everyday and look nice too; thus, I wear the same shoes for very long periods of time to avoid the shopping, and I can easily relate to you in becoming attached to footwear. I usually wear Vans, a vestige of my youthful days as a skateboarder, and keep the laces tied just inside the tongue, a manifestation of my being laid back - or perhaps lazy.

    I also like your word of the day. It's interesting; I did not know disingenuous, but I did know ingenuous, and the "dis" does not change the meaning of the word like you would expect. While being disingenuous may be pretending that you know a lot about something that you don't, ingenuous means lacking sophistication. So, someone who is disingenuous may often also be ingenuous? Interesting.

    Enjoyed your post. Your writing is very readable.

    ReplyDelete